- A Fayette County Man Was One Of Two People Killed In A Two-Vehicle Wreck Monday
- Man Arrested For Obstruction Of Emergency Communications
- Iowa Woman Arrested On Sex Charges
- West Des Moines Woman Free On Bond After Being Accused Of Drunk Driving With Three Kids In Car
- Reynolds, Lawmakers In Talks To Combat Federal Vaccine Mandates
UNION, IOWA – Law enforcement officials in Hardin County are continuing an investigation into a death that they said was a homicide.
Osborn Eugene Gavel, 22, of Baxter, Ark., was arrested and charged with first-degree murder.
At around 5:33 a.m., the Hardin County Sheriff’s Office was sent to a report of an unresponsive male in the 300 block of Commercial Street in Union. Deputies found Steve Reece, 74, inside a bedroom in the residence there. Officials believe that Reece died as a result of allegedly being struck by Gavel.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said that Gavel and others had been staying with Reece the night before his body was found.
Gavel is being held in the Hardin County Jail.